Hive, mail # user - hive map field question

RE: hive map field question
Chalcy Raja 2011-11-23, 18:19
Wow, this is great news.  I read about explode and wished map had that.

Thanks so much,
Chalcy

From: Bejoy Ks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: hive map field question

Hi Chalcy
        Support for splitting a column of map data type into key and values is available on the hive latest trunk. You can use a explode() UDF to achieve the same, which used to support only arrays previously.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hive/trunk/ql/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/ql/udf/generic/GenericUDTFExplode.java?view=markup

You need to patch your hive source installation to get this functionality running. Or as a quick fix (not highly recommended) take the source code include the same as a Custom UDF for your temporary usage. You can utilize the explode functionality as follows combining the same with Lateral Views.

Sample DDL
CREATE TABLE test_map
(
  clmn1 STRING,
  clmn2 STRING,
  clmnMap MAP<STRING,STRING>
)

Sample DML - to extraxt key values from map
SELECT clmn1,clmn2,clmnMap_key,clmnMap_value FROM test_map
LATERAL VIEW explode(clmnMap) cl AS clmnMap_key,clmnMap_value;

Hope it helps!...

Regards
Bejoy.K.S