Hadoop, mail # general - Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release

Re: abandoning 22 - was: Content request for 0.20.205 Sustaining Release
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-09-12, 12:35
> Many thanks to those that ran early versions of 0.22, filled issues and provided fixes.

This is one of the three reasons I think 0.22 release is important.
1. A lot of community work has been put into the branch. Developers
were developing, committers were committing, and I heard many
enthusiastic people participated in hackathons. It would be such a
waste.
2. We do not have an Apache release supporting HBase. 0.20.205 is
contemplated to be one. But it will not allow mixed workload. Same as
with other append-based Hadoop versions people will have to use
dedicated HBase clusters separate from "general purpose" clusters.
0.22 is a better choice in this respect.
3. Timing. With 0.23 being de facto a rewrite of Hadoop - both of MR
and HDFS - its stabilization may take longer than anticipated. I
believe 0.22 can be released fairly soon.

I was pleased with recent testing of the 0.22 branch. I plan to set up
a 100-node cluster to test the build with other Hadoop components next
week.

I will very much appreciate any help from the community as I don't
have an army to marshal.

Thanks,
--Konstantin