HBase >> mail # user >> Disable timestamp in HBase Table a.k.a Disable Versioning in HBase Table

+
anil gupta 2012-05-24, 21:51
RE: Disable timestamp in HBase Table a.k.a Disable Versioning in HBase Table
Hi Anil,
           There is no way you can avoid the timestamp with KVs. In your case you can think of using data block encoding? You can see FastDiffDeltaEncoder and DiffKeyDeltaEncoder. This includes way of avoiding writing the 8 bytes into each KV for timestamp. Still some bytes will be written though and this will be done at the block level. Also pls note that these encoders will do much more things than the timestamp space optimization. Also you need to make sure to pass some timestamp in your Puts. May be better make as 0L. Else in RS side HBase will assign the cur time as the timestamp.  Hope when u read the javadoc for these encoder classes, u will be more clear.

The one you are telling abt having a feature to fully avoid the timestamp is a topic to discuss

Hope I make it clear to you

-Anoop-
From: anil gupta [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 3:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Disable timestamp in HBase Table a.k.a Disable Versioning in HBase Table

Hi All,

We are planning to store data in HBase. Currently, in one of our use case
once a row is written into HBase Table we wont be modifying the data of
that row. Since, for every cell(right?) in HBase a timestamp(long value) is
stored; this would take up extra 8 bytes. I was thinking is there a way to
disable timestamp on HBase table when versioning is not required. I went
through the documentation and searched mailing list for same but could not
find anything relevant. Since we are talking about billions of cells, this
would add up to significant amount of space.(around 7.45 GigaBytes for 1
billion cells). Does this sounds like a feature HBase is missing?

Please share your thoughts.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Anil Gupta