MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Release numbering for branch-2 releases

+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 20:56
+
Stack 2013-01-31, 05:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-31, 20:12
+
Stack 2013-02-01, 20:35
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 10:34
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-01, 18:52
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-02-04, 18:46
+
Stack 2013-02-04, 19:53
+
Owen OMalley 2013-02-04, 21:07
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 22:14
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-04, 22:36
+
Steve Loughran 2013-02-05, 04:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-04, 19:20
+
Eli Collins 2013-01-31, 00:21
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-31, 01:10
Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
We also need to spell out what's permissible *before* GA as well.  The
alpha/beta labels, as I understand them, are not green lights to break
anything as long as it's not API compatibility.  The API compatibility
story has been somewhat fuzzy as well, eg MR2 requires users recompile all
their Hadoop 1.x jobs (ouch).  We've been working on stabilizing 2.x for a
while now and we need to start slating some changes to 3.x if we want to
get a 2.x GA release out soon.  To do that we have to consider issues for
end users (and downstream projects) upgrading from 0.23 releases and older
2.0.x releases, aside from just API compatibility, in terms of what's
permissible in the releases between now and GA.

Thanks,
Eli

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The discussions in HADOOP-9151 were related to wire-compatibility. I think
> we all agree that breaking API compatibility is not allowed without
> deprecating them first in a prior major release - this is something we have
> followed since hadoop-0.1.
>
> I agree we need to spell out what changes we can and cannot do *after* we
> go GA, for e.g.:
> # Clearly incompatible *API* changes are *not* allowed in hadoop-2 post-GA.
> # Do we allow incompatible changes on Client-Server protocols? I would say
> *no*.
> # Do we allow incompatible changes on internal-server protocols (for e.g.
> NN-DN or NN-NN in HA setup or RM-NM in YARN) to ensure we support
> rolling-upgrades? I would like to not allow this, but I do not know how
> feasible this is. An option is to allow these changes between minor
> releases i.e. between hadoop-2.10 and hadoop-2.11.
> # Do we allow changes which force a HDFS metadata upgrade between a minor
> upgrade i.e. hadoop-2.20 to hadoop-2.21?
> # Clearly *no* incompatible changes (API/client-server/server-server)
> changes are allowed in a patch release i.e. hadoop-2.20.0 and hadoop-2.20.1
> have to be compatible among all respects.
>
> What else am I missing?
>
> I'll make sure we update our Roadmap wiki and other docs post this
> discussion.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>

> On Jan 30, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>
> > Thanks for bringing this up Arun.  One of the issues is that we
> > haven't been clear about what type of compatibility breakages are
> > allowed, and which are not.  For example, renaming FileSystem#open is
> > incompatible, and not OK, regardless of the alpha/beta tag.  Breaking
> > a server/server APIs is OK pre-GA but probably not post GA, at least
> > in a point release, or required for a security fix, etc.
> > Configuration, data format, environment variable, changes etc can all
> > be similarly incompatible. The issue we had in HADOOP-9151 was someone
> > claimed it is not an incompatible change because it doesn't break API
> > compatibility even though it breaks wire compatibility. So let's be
> > clear about the types of incompatibility we are or are not permitting.
> > For example, will it be OK to merge a change before 2.2.0-beta that
> > requires an HDFS metadata upgrade? Or breaks client server wire
> > compatibility?  I've been assuming that changing an API annotated
> > Public/Stable still requires multiple major releases (one to deprecate
> > and one to remove), does the alpha label change that? To some people
> > the "alpha", "beta" label implies instability in terms of
> > quality/features, while to others it means unstable APIs (and to some
> > both) so it would be good to spell that out. In short, agree that we
> > really need to figure out what changes are permitted in what releases,
> > and we should update the docs accordingly (there's a start here:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap).

> [...]
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-01-29, 22:40
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-01-30, 23:32
+
Tom White 2013-02-01, 11:03
+
Stack 2013-02-03, 03:00