Accumulo >> mail # user >> Automating Accumulo installation

Re: Automating Accumulo installation
So those packages are really nice for testing out Accumulo. It makes it
quick and easy to give it a test drive, but for anything beyond that it's a
hassle.

First of all, there's no hadoop out there in the repositories. I think one
of the reasons this hasn't happened is the same as the other difficulties
of Accumulo - clustered software isn't the same as server software. You
need to bring up one node, and only one node, to init, otherwise there are
issues with the cluster. This is why there are utilities like whirr or
chef/puppet recipes to spin up clusters. Personally, I think these are the
better way to go for quick starts because then they're not one off
utilities that are only useful to newcomers.

But I should see about cutting new VMs/AMIs. Currently wrapping up an
internal dev cycle but I'll see about dedicating a few cycles to getting
new ones cut for the community.