Pig >> mail # user >> Sponsoring Howl as an incubator project

Re: Sponsoring Howl as an incubator project
Agreed.
Julien
On 2/8/11 10:49 PM, "Santhosh Srinivasan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As one of my favorite people says "Sometimes, its just not the letter of the law but the spirit of the law that matters". The intention behind Pig sponsoring Howl as an incubator project was to establish Howl as an independent project with an eventual path to becoming a Top Level Project. In the process it was very nice to see the strong support for the (independent) existence of Howl. Since the (by)law does not allow that to happen its appropriate for Apache Incubator to sponsor the project.

Santhosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Gates [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sponsoring Howl as an incubator project

Last week I sent an email proposing that we, the Pig project, sponsor Howl as an incubator project.  You can see the thread at http://tinyurl.com/4acfut4 .

However, in proposing this I did not realize that I was also proposing that Howl should become a Pig subproject upon graduation from the incubator.  (See http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
  for details).  This has, understandably, caused some confusion in the Hive community since Howl uses large amounts of their code and is intended as a shared service between Pig, Hive, and MapReduce.

So, after further consideration, I think it would be better if we ask the Apache Incubator to sponsor the project.  This way we are not setting Howl on a trajectory to become a Pig subproject.  However, we did vote to sponsor it. So, before submitting the proposal without Pig as a sponsor, I wanted to check with those who voted for it that they are ok with course of action.

Alan.