HBase >> mail # user >> Can a RegionObserver coprocessor increment counter of a row key that may not belong to the region ?

+
Amit Sela 2012-12-05, 12:35
+
Asaf Mesika 2012-12-05, 18:56
Re: Can a RegionObserver coprocessor increment counter of a row key that may not belong to the region ?
I asked because I thought exactly what you all said but wanted to be sure.
My case is incrementing counters per URL where the families are time
periods (hourly, daily...) and the qualifiers are
impressions_criteria1,impressions_criteria2... I am going to use
coprocessors in order to sum all impressions counters (all criteria
segments) and then increment another counter (general count) that belongs
to the same URL.
Is that a good practice for Coprocessors (Observer) ?

Thanks.
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Asaf Mesika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why not simply send Increment objects from the client side to HBase, to
> the URL row key and to the domain row key?
>
> On 5 בדצמ 2012, at 14:35, Amit Sela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have to count the occurrence of URLs in our system using the URL as row
> > key and using Increment.
> > I also want to count domains, so I was thinking of using RegionObserver
> > coprocessor on postIncrement() and Increment using the domain as key.
> >
> > Will that work ? Is there a problem if the url key starts with 'www.' and
> > the domain starts with 'aaaa' ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Amit.