Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-15, 18:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 07:06
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 22:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
Guys,

I guess what you're missing is that Bigtop isn't a testing framework for
Hadoop. It is stack framework that verifies that components are dealing with
each other nicely. Every single stack is different: Bigtop 0.5.0 differs from
0.6.0, and so on. Bigtop - as any other ASF project - has its releases that
might or might not be aligned with particular version of Hadoop. Hence, an
ethalon stack needs to be defined first and foremost.

Before we even start talking about running it nightly (another question is on
what hardware, let's not get there for now) let's understand who will can help
with triage'ing test failures? Downstreams, Hadoop or Bigtop?

Judging by a number of other emails there's a number of people on this list
who care plenty about integration issues. Any volunteers to help with
integration testing in the open?

> Is this a previously solved problem?

Yes. The problem is solved by separating actively developed (aka unstable)
release from more mature and less volatile ones. This is what has been
concluded upon two days ago in this voting thread http://s.apache.org/MnU

Cos

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 04:54PM, Matt Foley wrote:
> Roman, what is your model for how test results from Bigtop should feed back
> into Hadoop-2 development?
> With the understanding that (a) software does have bugs, and (b) you're not
> going to get an SLA on community-sponsored software,
> what are your ideas for how to close the loop better?
>
> Would "CI" runs of Bigtop against branch-2 be feasible, as Arun suggests?
> How should we accomodate changes in individual components (Hadoop Core, but
> others as well) that may require changes in one or more other components?
> How does Bigtop keep doing a viable nightly build in that chaotic
> environment?
> Is this a previously solved problem?
>
> Thanks,
> --Matt
>

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > On May 15, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> >
> > > Arun,
> > >
> > > am I reading yours answer to my binary question correctly? It is a 'no'.
> >
> > No.
> >

> > > My reading of your response is that while you appreciate the feedback
> > > Bigtop is providing you're not of an opinion that investigating the level
> > > of stability of Hadoop wrt. downstream any further than what is currently
> > > happening would be a worthy investment of Hadoop's community
> > > (or your personal for that matter) time?
> >
> > Everyone is welcome to contribute in any and all manner. I can't speak for
> > everyone.
> > It would be useful if Bigtop could run regressions on releases here
> > consistently. We've also talked in the past about running Bigtop on
> > branch-2, nightly. Is that something you could help with? You'd earn my
> > personal gratitude.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Arun
> >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Roman.

> > night it would be useful to remember one thing:
> > universe validates it, in fact they won't validate it if we don't release
> > since are at the bottom of the stack.

> > the same employer as I do have plans to do further testing after we freeze
> > apis via the beta release(s). I hope and pray others can join this effort -
> > thanks to everyone who already has.

> > There are no guarantees it's 100% bug-free, we can never make such
> > guarantees anyway.

> > quickly turn around and make more releases (2.0.6-beta, 2.0.7-beta).
> > Obviously I'll make a call on which bugs are critical - feedback to help me
> > decide is, as always, welcome.
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 04:25
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19