HBase >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter

+
Francis Liu 2013-05-07, 23:38
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-05-07, 23:43
+
Ian Varley 2013-05-07, 23:49
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-08, 00:22
+
Stack 2013-05-08, 06:36
+
James Taylor 2013-05-08, 06:55
+
Sergey Shelukhin 2013-05-08, 19:01
+
Elliott Clark 2013-05-08, 20:27
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-09, 00:02
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 00:11
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-09, 01:00
+
Sergey Shelukhin 2013-05-09, 01:24
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-09, 01:36
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 01:27
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-09, 01:58
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 02:03
+
Stack 2013-05-09, 03:40
Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
Sounds like I should give the auto-generate approach a try.

In essence it'll do the following:

- Tables without '.' will be moved into the default namespace.
- Tables with '.' will be move into new namespaces
- namespaces will be delimited by the last '.' in the table name
ie org.apache.hbase.MyTable, namespace = org.apache.hbase
- In both cases the oldTableName is the same as the fullTableName
- all existing apis and cli commands will be expecting full table names unless explicitly stated
- a RenameTable tool will be provided to rename offline tables

Let me know if any clarification is needed.

-Francis

On May 8, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Stack wrote:

> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> w.r.t. auto-generate option, we need some heuristics.
>>
>> e.g. would namespace.schemaname.tablename be supported ?
>>
>> The auto-generate option may create namespace name out of existing schema
>> name.
>>

> There is no schema name in hbase.  James's convention up in phoenix at the
> hbase-level is a table name w/ a dot in it.
>
> This is already a difficult enough issue.  No need to add complications.
>
> St.Ack
+
Ted Yu 2013-05-09, 23:21
+