HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Thrift for CDH3U3 leaking file descriptors/socket connections to Zookeeper

+
Dhaval Y Shah 2012-04-27, 18:02
Re: HBase Thrift for CDH3U3 leaking file descriptors/socket connections to Zookeeper
I don't have the code in front of me, but I bet we're not reusing the Configuration object when getting the HTable handle. I'll take a look at when the regression went in this evening.

-Joey

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 27, 2012, at 14:02, Dhaval Y Shah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have an app written in Ruby which uses HBase as the backing store.. It
> uses
> Thrift to connect to it.. We were using HBase from Cloudera's CDH3B4 distro
> until
> now and it worked fine.. I just upgraded our Hadoop install to CDH3U3 (which
> is
> the latest stable CDH release at this point) and in a matter of hours all
> Thrift
> servers went down..
>
> Upon further investigation I realized that it was hitting the limit on the
> number
> of allowed file descriptors (which is pretty high at 32k).. This problem
> occurs if
> I use thrift in any configuration (hsha, framed transport, threadpool)
> except the
> nonblocking mode.. Digging further I realized a couple of things:
> 1. Even with light load (1-2 processes hitting the thrift server in quick
> succession), thrift is spinning up new threads and each of the threads is
> maintaining a socket connection to zookeeper.. In a matter on minutes (with
> this
> load test), thrift has > 32k open connections with > 8k threads having
> connection
> to zookeeper which do not seem to die even after a day..
> 2. The logs show approx 3-4 open connections (presumably for each thread):
> java    53588 hbase 4135r  FIFO                0,6             177426 pipe
> java    53588 hbase 4136w  FIFO                0,6             177426 pipe
> java    53588 hbase 4137r  0000               0,11         0   177427
> eventpoll
> java    53588 hbase 4138u  IPv4             177428                TCP
> njhaddev05:49729->njhaddev01:2181 (ESTABLISH
> ED)
>
> CDH3B4 with the exact same configurations and the exact same setup works
> fine but
> CDH3U3 does not.. Using Thrift in nonblocking mode isn't really an option
> because
> of the low throughput and single threaded nature..
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated..

Dhaval Y Shah 2012-04-28, 04:02
+
Dhaval Y Shah 2012-05-01, 02:29