MapReduce, mail # user - HDFS performance with an without replication

HDFS performance with an without replication
John Lilley 2013-09-15, 17:08
In our YARN application, we are considering whether to store temporary data with replication=1 or replication=3 (or give the user an option).  Obviously there is a tradeoff between reliability and performance, but on smaller clusters I'd expect this to be less of an issue.

What is the difference in write performance using replication=1 vs 3?  For reading I'd expect the performance to be roughly requivalent.

john