MapReduce, mail # user - Question about Name Spaces…

Re: Question about Name Spaces…
Harsh J 2013-05-15, 18:30
Namespace divides are designed with application-level separation in
mind. Sharing a file across namespaces does not make a whole lot of
sense to me.

Anyhow, the data is on the same set of DNs, and there's HA for NN's
own availability (if thats really a concern), so I don't see why
anyone would like to _maintain_ two synced copies of files as thats
just data duplication when all you need is a simple path (viewfs)/URI
(hdfs) to access a file lying on a different NN.

The reason you mention of metadata availability doesn't sound logical
- in such a case a person has to build a self failover of URIs for
said file, which they can simply avoid by using HDFS HA for the
hosting NN.

--
Harsh J