HBase >> mail # dev >> reason to do major compaction after split

+
Sergey Shelukhin 2013-03-07, 18:50
+
Stack 2013-03-07, 18:58
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-03-07, 19:03
+
Sergey Shelukhin 2013-03-07, 20:58
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-03-07, 21:14
+
Stack 2013-03-07, 22:13
+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-03-07, 22:28
+
Stack 2013-03-07, 22:56
+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-03-07, 23:09
+
Sergey Shelukhin 2013-03-07, 23:22
+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-03-07, 23:36
Re: reason to do major compaction after split
> /hbase/data/[file1, file 2, file 3, file N]
>
> table 1/region 1: [file 2]
> table 1/region 2: [file 1 (from 0 to 50)]
> table 1/region 3: [file 1 (from 50 to 100)]
> table 2/region 1: [file 1, file 2]

We do not necessarily have to have a separate dir for files. We can just
keep the files in the region dir, until no more references. The problem
comes from the fact that we rely on hdfs ls for regions rather than META
being the one and only authoritative source.

Enis

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Matteo Bertozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> sure having the hardlink support
> (HDFS-3370<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-3370>)
> solve the HFileLink hack
> but you still need to add extra metadata for splits (reference files)
>
> also, if instead of files you think about handling blocks directly
> you can end up doing more stuff, like a proper compaction that
> require less I/O if N blocks are not changed, some crazy deduplication
> on tables with same content & similar...
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Sergey Shelukhin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hmm... ranges sounds good, but for files, it would be nice if there were
> > hardlink mechanism.
> > It should be trivial to do in HDFS if blocks could belong to several
> files.
> > Then we don't have to have private cleanup code.
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Matteo Bertozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > This is seems to going in a super messy direction.
> > > With HBASE-7806 the ideas was to cleanup all this crazy stuff
> (HFileLink,
> > > References, ...)
> > >
> > > unfortunately the initial decision of tight together the fs layout
> > > and the tables/regions/families is bringing to all this workaround to
> > have
> > > something cool.
> > >
> > > If you put the files in one place, and the association in another  you
> > can
> > > avoid all this complexity.
> > >
> > > /hbase/data/[file1, file 2, file 3, file N]
> > >
> > > table 1/region 1: [file 2]
> > > table 1/region 2: [file 1 (from 0 to 50)]
> > > table 1/region 3: [file 1 (from 50 to 100)]
> > > table 2/region 1: [file 1, file 2]

> then
> QuarterHFile

+