Zookeeper, mail # dev - PMC member criteria for ZooKeeper.

Re: PMC member criteria for ZooKeeper.
Benjamin Reed 2011-03-07, 23:12
i would like to the pmc to have more of a project management view. i
think it would be great to have pmc members come up through the
committer ranks, but i also think there may be potential pmc members
that are more project management oriented than code oriented.

for me an ideal pmc member would:
  - understand the project
  - have a good understanding for where the project should and
shouldn't go, and be able to express that understanding
  - should vote on releases and be involved in release discussions
  - should participate in the mailing lists
  - have a good view of how zookeeper sits in the apache eco system
  - know what work is going on and identify areas of needed work

a committer will do many of these things, but you could be the ideal
pmc member and not be heavily involved in the coding, so making the
pmc members a subset of the committers seems overly restrictive.
actually it may be nice to have some members who don't have their
heads down in the code so that they can take a broader view.

so i guess the one attribute i would take issue with from your list is
the "patch reviews and contributions". a pmc member should be familiar
with the work going on in the project, but "patch reviews and
contributions" is squarely in the committers area of responsibility.

ben