HBase, mail # user - schema design: rows vs wide columns

+
shawn du 2013-04-07, 08:03
+
Ted 2013-04-07, 18:58
+
Stack 2013-04-07, 22:04
+
Ted Yu 2013-04-07, 22:27
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-04-07, 22:52
+
Viral Bajaria 2013-04-07, 23:51
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-08, 03:59
+
lars hofhansl 2013-04-08, 04:39
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-04-08, 04:51
+
Doug Meil 2013-04-08, 14:21
Re: schema design: rows vs wide columns
Ted Yu 2013-04-16, 14:02
If there is no objection, I will create a JIRA to increase the maximum
number of column families described here:

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#number.of.cfs

Cheers

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Doug Meil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> For the record, the refGuide mentions potential issues of CF lumpiness
> that you mentioned:
>
> http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#number.of.cfs
>

> 6.2.1. Cardinality of ColumnFamilies
>
> Where multiple ColumnFamilies exist in a single table, be aware of the
> cardinality (i.e., number of rows).
>       If ColumnFamilyA has 1 million rows and ColumnFamilyB has 1 billion
> rows, ColumnFamilyA's data will likely be spread
>       across many, many regions (and RegionServers).  This makes mass
> scans for ColumnFamilyA less efficient.
>

> Š. anything that needs to be updated/added for this?
>

> On 4/8/13 12:39 AM, "lars hofhansl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I think the main problem is that all CFs have to be flushed if one gets
> >large enough to require a flush.
> >(Does anyone remember why exactly that is? And do we still need that now
> >that the memstoreTS is stored in the HFiles?)
> >

> >So things are fine as long as all CFs have roughly the same size. But if
> >you have one that gets a lot of data and many others that are smaller,
> >we'd end up with a lot of unnecessary and small store files from the
> >smaller CFs.
> >
> >Anything else known that is bad about many column families?
> >

> >-- Lars
> >

> >________________________________

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-16, 14:04