HBase, mail # user - What are the appropriate steps before performing hardware maintenance?

+
Dan Crosta 2013-04-25, 15:25
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-25, 15:30
Re: What are the appropriate steps before performing hardware maintenance?
Dan Crosta 2013-04-25, 16:31
Sorry, I should have mentioned before -- we are using CDH 4.2, which does not package the graceful_stop script. Do you happen to know if there's a way to do this through the CDH manager? Perhaps the "decommission" action does something similar? My impression is that "decommission" is more heavy-handed, but if that's the most convenient route, that'll work for us.

Thanks,
- Dan

On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> You might want to take a look at bin/graceful_stop.sh . It will move
> all the regions hosted by your RS to other RS before stopping it
> gracefuly. After the maintenance, simply start the RS/DN back and it
> will be added back to the cluster. Loadbalancer will then assign some
> regions back to him. You will loose some data locality for the regions
> wich are going to be moved.
>
> JM
>
> 2013/4/25 Dan Crosta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> We have to perform maintenance on one of our HDFS DataNode/HBase Regionserver machines for a few hours. What are the right steps to take before doing the maintenance in order to ensure limited  impact to the cluster and (thrift) clients of the cluster, both for HDFS and HBase?
>>
>> After the maintenance, are there any special steps required to add the node back to the cluster, or can we simply restart the services and HDFS/HBase take care of the rest?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Dan
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-25, 16:36