Hi!

> Should we start tagging all candidates with a common label, e.g.
include-in-v3?

I agree with Lars's suggestion for tagging JIRAs with include-in-v3. I've
done so, and the relevant query is
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20include-in-v3%20and%20project%3Dimpala
.

> What sort of process were you thinking of for the automation?

I think amending push_to_asf.py, as you suggest, is a great idea. I think
we have a string ("not for 2.x") which can be used in commit messages to
discourage the cherrypick for the changes we want to be exclusive until we
want to change the defaults in the other direction. (I.e., right now the
string is "not for 2.x", but at some point the string may be "should be
cherrypicked to 2.x".)

I do think that we want to create a gerrit branch to allow 2.x-only changes
to be reviewed in the straight-forward fashion.

-- Philip