Hadoop >> mail # user >> Streaming reporter counter update

Streaming reporter counter update
I have found the following abstraction a streaming counter update in many places on the web:

to be sent to cerr, but I haven't found a description of the three parameters.  Presumably group is just a string of my own choosing, but I don't know what to enter for counter and amount.  Are they ints for floats?  Is counter a string naming the counter or number indicating the maximum counter so that amount can be used to determine a fraction of that max...I just don't know.

Help.

Keith Wiley               [EMAIL PROTECTED]               www.keithwiley.com

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
  -- Galileo Galilei