MapReduce >> mail # user >> HDFS short-circuit reads

HDFS short-circuit reads
Our YARN application would benefit from maximal bandwidth on HDFS reads.
But I'm unclear on how short-circuit reads are enabled.
Are they on by default?
Can our application check programmatically to see if the short-circuit read is enabled?
Thanks,
john

RE:
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/ShortCircuitLocalReads.html