From: Allen Wittenauer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 10:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Advice on restarting HDFS in a cron
On 4/24/09 9:31 AM, "Marc Limotte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've heard that HDFS starts to slow down after it's been running for a long
> time.  And I believe I've experienced this.

We did an upgrade (== complete restart) of a 2000 node instance in ~20
minutes on Wednesday. I wouldn't really consider that 'slow', but YMMV.

I suspect people aren't running the secondary name node and therefore have
massively large edits file.  The name node appears slow on restart because
it has to apply the edits to the fsimage rather than having the secondary
keep it up to date.