Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 18:02
+
Arpit Gupta 2013-05-15, 19:54
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:59
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:11
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Karthik Kambatla 2013-05-15, 18:23
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-05-15, 18:32
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 19:19
+
Bikas Saha 2013-05-15, 20:16
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:23
+
Amir Sanjar 2013-05-15, 18:14
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 18:06
+
Nathan Roberts 2013-05-16, 18:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 07:06
+
eric baldeschwieler 2013-05-15, 20:20
+
Sandy Ryza 2013-05-15, 20:25
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Eli Collins 2013-05-15, 20:43
+
Zhijie Shen 2013-05-15, 20:47
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 21:21
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-15, 22:27
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:44
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:56
Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
Arun,

I am glad I at least convinced you to finally announce your release plan
and put it into vote.
Even though it is to overrule the vote that just completed, which you were
against and lost, well - Twice.

I am glad you removed the NFS feature from the list proposed earlier.

I think this vote is late. The lazy consensus on that issue has been just
reached.
I don't see the basis for the new vote,
and it is not clear what action you seek to approve.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the
> recent vote on 2.0.5, beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the voting
> itself (validity of the vote itself, whose votes are binding) etc.
>
> IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current stability
> of 3 features under debate etc.) have been lost in the discussion in favor
> of non-technical (almost dramatic) nuances such as "seizing the moment".
> There is now dangerous talk of tolerating incompatibility b/w 2.0 and 2.1)
> - this is a red flag for me; particularly when there are just 3 features
> being debated and active committers and contributors are confident of and
> ready to stand by their work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be
> merged in the the next few days per discussions on jira. This will,
> clearly, not delay the other API work which everyone agrees is crucial. As
> a result, I feel no recourse but to restart a new vote - all attempts at
> calm, reasoned, civil discussion based on technical arguments have come to
> naught - I apologize for the thrash caused to everyone's attention.
>
> To get past all of this confusion, I'd like to present an alternate,
> specific proposal for consideration.
>
> I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release by
> May end with the following content:
> # HDFS-347
> # HDFS Snapshots
> # Windows support
> # Necessary & final API/protocol changes such as:
>  * Final YARN API changes: YARN-386
>  * MR Binary Compatibility: MAPREDUCE-5108
>  * Final RPC cleanup: HADOOP-8990
>
> People working on the above features have all expressed considerable
> comfort with them and are ready to stand-by to help expedite any necessary
> bug-fixes etc. to get to stabilization quickly. I'm confident we can get
> this release out by end of May. This sets stage for a hadoop-2.x GA release
> right after with some more testing - this means I think I can quickly turn
> around and make bug-fix releases as necessary right after 2.0.5-beta.
>
> I request that people consider helping out with this plan and sign up to
> help push hadoop-2.x to stability as outlined above. I believe this will
> help achieve our shared goals of quickly stabilizing hadoop-2 and help
> ensure we can support it for forseeable future in a compatible manner for
> the benefit of our users and downstream projects.
>
> Please vote, the vote will run the normal 7 days. Obviously, I'm +1.
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>
> PS: To keep this discussion grounded in technical details I've moved this
> to dev@ (bcc general@).

+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:29
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 20:36
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 20:56
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:14
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 21:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-15, 23:17
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-16, 06:34
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 21:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 22:02
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 22:31
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 22:50
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 23:47
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 23:54
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:19
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-16, 17:22
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-17, 19:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 04:25
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:41
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 05:52
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-16, 06:38
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-16, 07:20
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-16, 18:18
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-05-16, 05:29
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 21:15
+
Devaraj Das 2013-05-15, 20:39
+
Robert Evans 2013-05-16, 15:19