HBase >> mail # user >> High cpu usage on a region server

Re: High cpu usage on a region server
Yep... Very likely HBASE-9428:

8 threads:
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
        at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2786)
        at java.lang.StringCoding.decode(StringCoding.java:178)
        at java.lang.String.<init>(String.java:483)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.filter.RegexStringComparator.compareTo(RegexStringComparator.java:96)

4 threads:
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
        at sun.nio.cs.ISO_8859_1$Decoder.decodeArrayLoop(ISO_8859_1.java:79)
        at sun.nio.cs.ISO_8859_1$Decoder.decodeLoop(ISO_8859_1.java:106)
        at java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder.decode(CharsetDecoder.java:544)
        at java.lang.StringCoding$StringDecoder.decode(StringCoding.java:140)
        at java.lang.StringCoding.decode(StringCoding.java:179)
        at java.lang.String.<init>(String.java:483)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.filter.RegexStringComparator.compareTo(RegexStringComparator.java:96)

It's also consistent with what you see: Lots of garbage (hence tweaking your GC options had a significant effect)
The fix is in 0.94.12, which is in RC right now, probably to be released early next week.

-- Lars