Accumulo >> mail # dev >> ACCUMULO-958 - Pluggable encryption in walogs

Re: ACCUMULO-958 - Pluggable encryption in walogs
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Adam Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> The release date was not pushed back just for this ticket -- there were
> several other changes that motivated that date change. We can discuss that
> aspect separately from a discussion of ACCUMULO-958, and we need to start a
> separate thread to talk about the remaining milestones before the 1.5.0
> release.
>
> I would also like to amend your statement to be "... the patch has no value
> added [for] general users [without the addition of extensions that are not
> included with the patch]." This is a more accurate yet much weaker premise,
> and you should consider the implications on the broader ecosystem.
>
> It seems to me that the main points against this patch are that it is
> imperfect. I don't think that feature freeze is the time at which we should
> demand perfection. Several valid issues have been raised, which should be
> fixed by code freeze (the date of which is not yet set). However, the
> utility of this work is obvious to me. At the end of the day, what bar are
> we trying to set for inclusion of a patch?

The patch is already included.  Its being reviewed.

My main concern is the public API, specifically the config props.  I
think its very likely there will be a desire to change them once this
feature is fully implemented.  Whats the strategy for dealing with
this?

Personally, I am not strongly opposed to including the code.  We
already have useless code floating around in various places.  I am
strongly opposed to the API changes.