Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level

Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Nigel Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Good questions.  Keep them coming!  I'll compile a list so we can start an FAQ on this.
>
>> # Is project split a goal for hadoop in the future (even though we are not ready yet?). If it is, then putting projects back together might result in tight dependencies between the project. Ho do we avoid it?
>

> Note, we're not putting them back together.  This is NOT a cmd-Z (ctrl-Z) on the project split.  It's putting them back under one trunk, but as separate projects underneath that.  IMO this is a relatively small change in the universe of undo-the-project-split possibilities.

Yes, the three projects would still build separately. However, it
would be useful to have a small top-level script to produce a single
artifact, like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6342 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6846.

>> # The committer list for each of the sub project today is different. How do we reconcile them?
>
> I'd like to keep that issue out of this change if at all possible.  I recommend for now we keep the status quo.  Thus, even though all committers may technically have permission to commit to all 3 project trees (can someone confirm that?), we would need to rely on the honor system that committers will only commit to their project trees.

That's right - we don't have fine-grained commit access on the Hadoop
tree, so we don't need to change anything here.

Tom