Hadoop, mail # general - Hadoop support for hbase

Re: Hadoop support for hbase
Stack 2010-05-10, 17:18
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Allen Wittenauer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let me understand this:
>
> a) the hbase folks have been required to patch hadoop due to bugs

The branch is to work on adding a feature to 0.20, not for fixing bugs.

> c) we finally have momentum on getting 0.21 out the door
> d) hey, let's make their life easier and take resources out of 0.21 by creating a branch

The above is a fallacious setup.  How does a branch in 0.20 detract
from the 0.21 momentum (The append feature that we'd work on in 0.20
branch has little relation to how append works in 0.21).
> Are we willing to create a branch for everyone that asks? What happens if mahout/lucene/solr/joes-random-application asks?  Is it a good idea to create a branch that hopefully has a very short life time?   Is it the latest fashion amongst the PMC to request random branches?
>
> trunk
> 0.21
> 0.20
> 0.20-append
> 0.20-security-sure-hope-this-turns-into-1.0
> 0.20-lifecycle-management-stuff-that-seems-to-never-get-committed
>
> I'm not PMC, but can I make requests too, since I have to patch what we use?

Of course you can.

> I'd rather have the HBase folks put pressure on the Hadoop PMC to get 0.21 out the door than create a custom-to-be-thrown-away-in-less-than-a-year branch.  This way we *all* benefit rather than a select, but vocal group.

We're all behind 0.21.  Its the future.

St.Ack