Accumulo, mail # dev - A discussion on scripts

Re: A discussion on scripts
Christopher Tubbs 2012-09-26, 11:49
I'd like to see separate call scripts for each separate process. This
is important for packaging, especially, so we can deliver components
separately, and make it easier for users to deploy and configure the
components that they want on each node of their cluster. I also think
these should be separate from init scripts. (This doesn't mean they
cannot inherit from a master script that takes parameters, but that
should be transparent to the user.)

What I'm thinking is that I want something like (config params
optional, but with a sensible default location like those specified
below):

/usr/bin/accumulo-tserver --config=/etc/accumulo/tserver.conf
/usr/bin/accumulo-master --config=/etc/accumulo/master.conf

and for the shell
/usr/bin/accumulo --config=~/.accumulo/config

With init scripts that call the above scripts:
/etc/init.d/accumulo-master start|stop|restart|status # calls the
appropriate commands to start, kill, etc.
/etc/init.d/accumulo-tserver start|stop|restart|status

I'm fine with the /usr/bin/accumulo* being symlinks to our install
location (/usr/lib/accumulo/bin?), but the scripts should assume
default install locations (absolute paths, not relative paths), and
take a single configuration file as an optional parameter. This config
file should specify any locations that override the defaults. This
pattern makes everything very explicit for the user, and very
convenient to configure. It also makes writing RPMs/DEBs very easy,
because we know where to put files by default where users will expect
them.