Accumulo >> mail # user >> compressing values returned to scanner

compressing values returned to scanner
My understanding of compression in Accumulo 1.4.1 is that it is on by
default and that data is decompressed by the tablet server, so data on the
wire between server/client is decompressed. Is there a way to shift the
decompression from happening on the server to the client? I have a use case
where each Value in my table is relatively large (~ 8MB) and I can benefit
from compression over the wire. I don't have any server side iterators, so
the values don't need to be decompressed by the tablet server. Also, each
scan returns a few rows, so client-side decompression can be fast.

The only way I can think of now is to disable compression on that table,
and handle compression/decompression in the application. But if there is a
way to do this in Accumulo, I'd prefer that.

Thanks,
Ameet