Accumulo, mail # user - compressing values returned to scanner

compressing values returned to scanner
ameet kini 2012-10-01, 19:03
My understanding of compression in Accumulo 1.4.1 is that it is on by
default and that data is decompressed by the tablet server, so data on the
wire between server/client is decompressed. Is there a way to shift the
decompression from happening on the server to the client? I have a use case
where each Value in my table is relatively large (~ 8MB) and I can benefit
from compression over the wire. I don't have any server side iterators, so
the values don't need to be decompressed by the tablet server. Also, each
scan returns a few rows, so client-side decompression can be fast.

The only way I can think of now is to disable compression on that table,
and handle compression/decompression in the application. But if there is a
way to do this in Accumulo, I'd prefer that.

Thanks,
Ameet