HBase, mail # dev - proper pace for JIRA integration

Re: proper pace for JIRA integration
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-11-02, 07:34
Roman, thanks for including me in this discussion.

Indeed we have been testing extensively Hadoop-0.22 branch for the
last two months and beyond. Latest tests on a relatively large dev
cluster were going well. I reported this recently on general@hadoop.

HBase is the main focus for us and was one of the primary motivations
for choosing the branch. We also run Hive and Pig. Oozie is in the
pipeline. And it all is coming together nicely on top of .22 so far.

0.22 branch has a pretty long history. And has been tested at
different times by different groups of contributors. Stack et.al. were
the first to test the new implementation of append, thanks for that.
Now I see .22 as (the only ?) alternative (to the 0.20-append branch
variations) for HBase community to move forward with your development.
You have been asking for it afair.

Not sure when 0.23 will be ready/stable. We have seen a push to 0.21
then to 0.22 only to return back to the 0.20 series afterwards. I am
very glad the .23 effort went all the way to alpha release. As I
previously said it takes time to stabilize a new file systems, which
essentially what you have in .23. HDFS .22 has been around for more
than a year.

Roman just created first hadoop 0.22 assemble build. Check the
artifact out, see for yourself if it's DoA or AaR, or may be WfM.
There isn't much buzz about .22 because nobody is commercializing it.
It's the community work. And it's up to us (you) to make it happen.

Thanks,
--Konstantin