Flume, mail # user - Preventing Data Loss during Restart

RE: Preventing Data Loss during Restart
Matt.Elliott@... 2013-02-12, 20:19
Yeah I’m starting to answer my own question. We’re using 1.3 so we do have Avro. We were trying to avoid installing anything on our client (Source) machines so that we could avoid installing Java on machines we didn’t need it on.

From: Hari Shreedharan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Preventing Data Loss during Restart

Hi,

What version of Flume are you using? Also note that Syslog is a fire and forget protocol, so when you reconfigure, any events not persisted to the file channel would be lost. Since there is no way of informing the data source that the data was not written to disk, this data could in fact be lost. We recommend using a source which actually does report failure, like Avro/Thrift (available on trunk, not in any release yet) or HTTP. This will allow you to retry if Flume reports failure.

Hari

--

Hari Shreedharan