Zookeeper, mail # dev - ZK to coordinate across data centers

+
Narayanan A R 2012-05-08, 07:21
+
Camille Fournier 2012-05-08, 13:42
+
Narayanan A R 2012-05-09, 03:27
Re: ZK to coordinate across data centers
Camille Fournier 2012-05-09, 14:16
What's your BCP requirements? Do you need to span clusters because you
need continued availability if one cluster goes down? What write
throughput do you expect to need, how many clients do you anticipate
serving, how many locks will they need? Write throughput does go down
when you span clusters, but it's not as bad as you might think, unless
your ping time between clusters is very slow. I supported
cross-datacenter clusters doing quite respectable write throughput
(sorry, don't have any numbers handy but it was much more capacity
than my service needed), so I wouldn't overdesign your system before
checking the throughput you could get using a simple setup.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Narayanan A R
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Imagine the locks recipe need to be used to synchronize resources across
> data centers. One option is to span the ensemble to all the data centers.
> But I am afraid this will significantly reduce the write throughout. The
> alternative is to setup ZK in one and have all the clients talk to the same
> cluster. Even with this approach the clients needs to keep the connection
> open to a different data center. What I have in mind is to make the
> requests stateless and have a service offer locks.
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Camille Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> It can, but it depends on what you're doing. If you want to give us
>> some more information on your proposed use case we can maybe help you
>> more.

>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Narayanan A R
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Does ZK fit well for coordination across data centers?

+
Narayanan A R 2012-05-09, 20:37
+
Camille Fournier 2012-05-09, 20:46