MapReduce >> mail # dev >> [Vote] Merge branch-trunk-win to trunk

+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 22:55
+
Robert Evans 2013-02-27, 16:17
+
Eli Collins 2013-02-27, 19:56
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-27, 22:54
+
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-27, 23:43
+
Ivan Mitic 2013-02-28, 02:32
+
John Gordon 2013-02-28, 11:25
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-02-28, 16:45
+
Robert Evans 2013-02-28, 19:29
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-02-28, 19:50
+
Harsh J 2013-02-27, 19:20
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-03-02, 03:14
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-03-01, 20:18
+
Chris Douglas 2013-03-01, 21:28
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-03-01, 21:57
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Commitment is a good thing.
> I think the two builds that I proposed are a prerequisite for Win support.
> If we commit windows patch people will start breaking it the next day.
> Which we wont know without the nightly build and wont be able to fix
> without the on-demand one.

As several people have pointed out already, the surface of possible
conflicts is relatively limited, and- as you did in 2007- the devs on
Windows will report and fix bugs in that platform as they find them.
CI is important for detecting and preventing bugs, but this isn't
software we're launching into orbit.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It seems that with the HW in place, the matter of setting at least nightly
> build is trivial for anyone with up to date Windows knowledge. I wish I could
> help. Going without a validation is a recipe for a disaster IMO.

Fair enough, though that also implies that the window for regressions
is small, and it leaves little room to doubt that this will receive
priority. Until it's merged, spurious notifications that the current
trunk breaks Windows are an awkward introduction to devs' workflow.
The order of merge/CI is a choice between mild annoyances, really.

But it might be moot. Giri: you're doing the work on this. When do you
think it can be complete? -C
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-03-01, 23:47
+