Accumulo >> mail # dev >> GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )

Re: GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )
Excellent feedback, Keith. Thanks.

I should have mentioned the REST API in the proposal.  I'm not sure if I
can use it for the CLI.  I will certainly try, since I would like to adhere
to the Ambari architecture as much as possible.

As for your other points:

*3.1.1 loggers do not exists in 1.5 ... so would only need to consider them
if working w/ 1.4 .  I suppose you would want to work Accumulo 1.4, since
that the current stable release.*

Yes. I was going to work with Accumulo 1.4, but it is good to know that the
loggers are not supported in 1.5.

*3.1.3
  Accumulo supports reading system config from xml local file and then
zookeeper (whats set in zookeeper takes precedence).  The nice thing about
setting something a config zookeeper, is that process restart is not
required.*

Good to know this too.  Does this only affect Zookeeper?  I should
distinguish between processes that may need restarts to load a
configuration vs those that do not.  Is the Zookeeper process the only one
like that?
*For section 3.2, are you proposing adding features to the existing Ambari
GUI?  If so, are the Accumulo specific?*

I am proposing to add features to the existing Ambari GUI.  The idea here
is that something like user access controls can be generalized so that any
Hadoop component being managed by Ambari is able to utilize them.  I'm
hoping that the Ambari PMC is OK with me doing this.  I do not want to
introduce any Accumulo-specific features that would make no sense for other
components.
*
It seems that Ambari relies on RPMs.  Its possible you may have to spend
time creating Accumulo RPMs that are useful for Ambari. You may want to
think about allocating some time for this.  Christopher and John can give
you more info about the current state of Accumulo RPMs.*

This is a very good point.  While building RPMs is not difficult, it does
require time to setup the configuration and test the builds.  I will
include time for this in the proposal.

Thanks again, Keith.

Andres