Hive >> mail # user >> Alter table is giving error

Alter table is giving error
Hi,

I am having a cluster setup on EC2 with Hadoop version 0.20.2 and Hive
version 0.8.1 (I configured everything) . I have created a table using :-

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE XXX ( YYY )PARTITIONED BY ( ZZZ )ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
FIELDS TERMINATED BY 'WWW' LOCATION 's3://my-location/data/';

Now I am trying to recover partition using :-

ALTER TABLE XXX RECOVER PARTITIONS;

but I am getting this error :- "FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:12 cannot
recognize input near 'XXX' 'RECOVER' 'PARTITIONS' in alter table statement"

Doing same steps on a cluster setup on EMR with Hadoop version 1.0.3 and
Hive version 0.8.1 (Configured by EMR), works fine.

So is this a version issue or am I missing some configuration changes in
EC2 setup ?
I am not able to find exact solution for this problem on internet. Please
help me.

Thanks,
Chunky.