HBase, mail # dev - HBase releases...

Re: HBase releases...
Jesse Yates 2011-10-12, 06:21
@Todd
Doing the linux release style works well if we have enough people who are
willing and able to maintain a bunch of separate branches. As it stands the
HBase community is pretty small compared to Linux, and I don't know how many
people would be willing to maintain a release - almost a full time job on
its own, leaving little time for writing code.

Maybe before we do some of the 'early' branches we get someone from the
community to volunteer to maintain it?

I'm also worried that could lead to a LOT of fracturing in releases (hence
the million and a half flavors of linux), which I feel is not all that good
for the community (though maybe good for lining people's
**cough**RedHat**cough** pockets).

@Lars

>So, I am not big fan of time based releases. What I am thinking to nudge
the
'>feels right' point a bit sooner. :)

That is kind of what I was getting at. I wanted to formalize the 'feels
right' process, so we don't start doing massive code drops.

>Software engineers (me included) tend to want to cram as many features as
possible
>into a release and sometimes it is good to make this tendency conscious and
>counter this a bit to avoid feature bloat. (not saying that is a problem in
HBase, just a
>general statement here).

I'm all for adding good stuff (and I can be as much a culprit as anyone ;)

>For example, what if we had branched right after coprocessors went in.
Would
>that been useful?

That is definitely fair that we have done some solid stuff since. But CPs
are the exception, not the rule. Hence, the provision that we can vote to
keep going.

Basically, I'm also lobbying for a way to hit a 'feels right' sooner, and I
think metrics (rather than emotion) is the way to go.

-Jesse Yates