From: Eric Baldeschwieler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Subject: DesignLounge @ HadoopSummit
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "
[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "
[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Hi Folks,

I've integrated the feedback I've gotten on the design lounge.  A couple of
clarifications:

1) The space will be open both days of the formal summit.  Apache
Committers / contributors are invited to stop by any time and use the space
to meet / network any time during the show.

2) Below I've listed the times that various project members have suggested
they will be present to talk with others contributors about their project.
 If we get a big showing for any of these slots we'll encourage folks to do
the unconference thing: Select a set of topics they want to talk about and
break up into groups to do so.

3) This is an experiment.  Our goal is to make the summit as useful as
possible to the folks who build the Apache projects in the Apache Hadoop
stack.  Please let me know how it works for you and ideas for making this
even more effective.

Committed times so far, with topic champion (Note - I've adjusted suggested
times to fit with the program a bit more smoothly):

Wednesday
11-1 - Hive - Ashutosh - The stinger initiative and other Hive activities
2 - 4 - Security breakout - Kevin Minder - HSSO, Knox, Rhino
3 - 4 - Frameworks to run services like HBase on Yarn - Weave, Hoya … -
Devaraj Das
4 - 5 - Accumulo - Billie Rinaldi
Thursday
11-1 - Finishing Yarn - Arun Murthy - Near term improvements needed
2 - 4 - HDFS - Suresh & Sanjay
4 - 5 - Getting involved in Apache - Billie Rinaldi
See you all soon!

E14

PS Please forward to other Apache -dev lists and CC me.  Thanks!

On Jun 11, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We thought we'd try something new at Hadoop Summit this year to build
upon two pieces of feedback I've heard a lot this year:

>       • Apache project developers would like to take advantage of the
Hadoop summit to meet with their peers to on work on specific technical
details of their projects
>       • That they want to do this during the summit, not before it starts
or at night. I've been told BoFs and other such traditional formats have
not historically worked for them, because they end up being about educating
users about their projects, not actually working with their peers on how to
make their projects better.
> So we are creating a space in the summit - marked in the event guide as
DesignLounge - concurrent with the presentation tracks where Apache Project
contributors can meet with their peers to plan the future of their project
or work through various technical issues near and dear to their hearts.

> We're going to provide white boards and message boards and let folks take
it from there in an unconference style.  We think there will be room for
about 4 groups to meet at once.  Interested? Let me know what you think.
 Send me any ideas for how we can make this work best for you.

> The room will be 231A and B at the Hadoop Summit and will run from
10:30am to 5:00pm on Day 1 (26th June), and we can also run from 10:30am to
5:00pm on Day 2 (27th June) if we have a lot of topics that folk want to
cover.

> Some of the early topics some folks told me they hope can be covered:
>
>       • Hadoop Core security proposals.  There are a couple of detailed
proposals circulating.  Let's get together and hash out the differences.
to phase it in incrementally with minimum complexity.
more effective
schedule below and suggest a few slots when you think it would be best for
your project to meet.  I'll try to work out a schedule where no more than 2
projects are using the lounge at once.
the -dev lists.