Accumulo >> mail # user >> Should I store Long values as String or Long?

Re: Should I store Long values as String or Long?
If it's just as the value, it's really up to your preference. Since it
sounds like you have issues using encoded data as the value for shell
users, you can  switch to String representations. A possible alternative is
using the views we have in the shell (transformations? I don't remember the
name, I don't know much about them).

Another concern is you have iterators/combiners running on the values, they
need to be aware of the format. But ultimately, the point is that your
format really doesn't matter, but it's that you're going to have to be
consistent from then on.