Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Hadoop build slaves software

Hadoop build slaves software
Hey folks,

It looks like hadoop8 has recently come back online as a build slave,
but is failing all the builds because it has an ancient version of
protobuf (2.2.0):
todd@asf008:~$ protoc  --version
libprotoc 2.2.0

In contrast, other slaves have 2.4.1:
todd@asf001:~$ protoc --version
libprotoc 2.4.1

asf001 has the newer protoc in /usr/local/bin but asf008 does not.
Does anyone know how software is meant to be deployed on these build
slaves? I'm happy to download and install protobuf 2.4.1 into
/usr/local on asf008 if manual installation is the name of the game,
but it seems like we should be doing something a little more
reproducible than one-off builds by rando developers to manage our
toolchain on the Jenkins slaves.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon