Flume >> mail # user >> How do you stop flume agent?

Re: How do you stop flume agent?
Using a normal kill command (resulting in SIG_TERM) will allow the
process to shutdown properly, terminating everything in an orderly
manner. If for some reason you need to use kill -9, things won't be so
pretty. This shouldn't ever be necessary.

Distributions of flume will package it up as a service allowing you to
do "service flume start/stop" or similar, depending on your OS.
Cloudera's distribution is obviously  the most well known. Under the
covers though these are doing the exact same thing(calling kill on the
flume process)

As to killing on multiple hosts, use a distribution or write your own
init.d script(which tracks the process id) and just stop/start the
service on all servers.
for i in $flume-hosts; do
   ssh $i "service stop flume"
done

or something similar. Obviously it's going to depend on your
environment. I think clouderas manager gives a ui for this?