HBase >> mail # dev >> Concurrent use of RegionScanner.next

Re: Concurrent use of RegionScanner.next
Alas... Store.notifyChangedReadersObservers, which calls updateReaders on all used StoreScanners, foils my ingenious plan.

________________________________
 From: lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: hbase-dev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:20 PM
Subject: Concurrent use of RegionScanner.next

Looking through the HRegion.RegionScannerImpl, I see various synchronized next(...) methods, same for StoreScanner.
Scanners are created for Get operations and these scanners are guaranteed to be only used from a single thread, so in that case all synchronization is pointless.
The client's next(...) operation is a bit more interesting.

Is anybody using scanners concurrently, such as calling next(...) on the *same* scanner from multiple threads concurrently?

If not, we could enforce this once at the RegionServer level and have the entire path down to HFileScannerVx unsynchronized.

Would this work? Any counterexamples?

A quick test shows that we could gain about 10-20% during a scan when everything is in cache.

-- Lars