Is see, you store the date-time as a lexicographically sortable string.  That's fine, but I'm operating on existing csv tables.  I guess I could whip up a hadoop job to convert all the date-time columns to lexicographic strings and then wrap hive around the resulting converted tables.  I was just wondering if there was a more direct approach, whether I could apply hive to the original csv tables.

*Would* the date functions work in the way I suggested in my first post or do you think a lexicographic conversion is practically required to perform date-ordering on query results?