On Mar 9, 2012, at 16:46 , Steven Wong wrote:

> The LOCATION clause has to specify the directory that contains (only) your data files.

I've tried it both ways:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE stringmap (ObjectTypeCode INT, AttributeName STRING, AttributeValue INT, LangId INT, Value STRING, DisplayOrder INT)
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
STORED AS TEXTFILE
LOCATION '/crm/records/all/hiveTest';

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE stringmap (ObjectTypeCode INT, AttributeName STRING, AttributeValue INT, LangId INT, Value STRING, DisplayOrder INT)
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
STORED AS TEXTFILE
LOCATION '/crm/records/all/hiveTest/StringMap.csv';

In both cases, "show tables" lists stringmap and "describe stringmap" describes the columns shown above, but a basic query doesn't return any results.

What else should I try here?

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was.  Now, what I'm with
isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me."
                                           --  Abe (Grandpa) Simpson