1: "SQL constructs inside hive" <--use jdbc driver "describe table" read
result set
2: "use thrift"
3: web hcat
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/WebHCat+InstallWebHCat#WebHCatInstallWebHCat-WebHCatInstalledwithHive
4: Just go the mysql db that backs the metastore and query directly

That gives you 4 ways to get at hive's meta data.

>> "since backwards compatibility is... well lets just say lacking"
Welcome to open source software. Or all software in general really.

All I am getting at was there is 4 ways right there to get at the metadata.

>>"but how easy is it to do this with a secure hadoop/hive ecosystem? now i
need to handle kerberos myself and somehow pass tokens into thrift i
assume?"
Frankly I do not give a crud about the "secure bla bla" but I have seen
several tickets on thift/sasl so I assume someone does.

My only point was hive seems to give 4 ways to get at the metadata, which
is better then say mysql or vertica which only really gives you the option
to do #1 over jdbc.

Hive actually works with avro formats where it can read the schema from the
data https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AvroSerDe so that
other then pointing your "table" at a folder the metadata is magic. Which
is what you are basically describing.

So again it depends on your definition of easily accessible. But the fact
that I have a thrift API which I can use to walk through the tables in a
database seems more accessable than many other databases I am aware of.