> I guess
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/DDL#head-3142e65b497fb43c4367e6a642a4588c6eaf4985is what I was looking for. Isn't that information in the wrong place?
I'm trying to register a UDF to parse my log file format. For this purpose
I'm trying to add a local JAR file to the Hive session. No matter what I
try, Hive always says the file does not exist or throws an error.

hive> add files '/tmp/testing.jar';

hive> add files 'file:///tmp/testing.jar';  -- this throws
java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in scheme name at index 0

After copying the file to HDFS:

hive> add files 'hdfs://master-hadoop:8020/tmp/testing.jar'; -- this throws
java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in scheme name at index 0
What am I doing wrong?

Saurabh.
--
http://nandz.blogspot.com