"with the metadata in a special metadata store (not on hdfs), and its not
as easy for all systems to access hive metadata." I disagree.

Hives metadata is not only accessible through the SQL constructs like
"describe table". But the entire meta-store also is actually a thrift
service so you have programmatic access to determine things like what
columns are in a table etc. Thrift creates RPC clients for almost every
major language.

In the programming hive book
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1449319335/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=3521269638&ref=pd_sl_4yiryvbf8k_e
there is even examples where I show how to iterate all the tables inside
the database from a java client.