Changing the partition list can be done by modifying the resource
IdeaStates (will be in the resource config in the future).
Basically, you can:
1. modify the partition list in IS directly or
2. reconfigure the number of partitions and call HelixAdmin.rebalance() to
automatically regenerate the list with default partition names.

After IS changed, next controller rebalance will assign the new partitions.

As for the additional partition info, some of our users leverage the
property store. I think you can do the same.

Best Regards,
Jiajun