From: Chris Trezzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 12:42 AM
To: Karthik Kambatla
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Release thread] 2.6.5 release activities

Thanks everyone for the discussion! Based on what has been said in this
thread, I will move forward on the preparation efforts (working with
Sangjin and the community) for a 2.6.5 release. If there is a strong
objection to this, please let us know.

I see three initial tasks going forward:

1. Fix the pre-commit build for branch-2.6. I am not entirely sure what is
involved here, but will start looking into it using HADOOP-12800 as a
starting point.

2. Look through the unresolved issues still targeted to 2.6.5 and
resolve/re-target as necessary. There are currently 17 of them:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=(project%20%
3D%20%22Hadoop%20Common%22%20OR%20project%20%3D%20%22Hadoop%20YARN%22%20OR%
20project%20%3D%20%22Hadoop%20Map%2FReduce%22%20OR%
20project%20%3D%20%22Hadoop%20HDFS%22)%20AND%20(
fixVersion%20%3D%202.6.5%20OR%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%
20%3D%202.6.5)%20AND%20(status%20!%3D%20Resolved%20AND%20status%20!%3D%
20Closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20status%20ASC

3. Look through the backport candidates in the spreadsheet in more detail
and backport/drop as necessary. There are currently 15 of them:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfG2CYQ7W4q3olWpOCo6EBAey1WYC
8hTRUemHvYPPzY/edit?usp=sharing

Finally, I think it would be awesome to continue the release end-of-life
discussion. As we get better and better at release cadence it is going to
be really helpful to have an established EOL policy. It will be less
confusing for contributors and help set clear expectations for end users as
to when they need to start making reasonable migration plans, especially if
they want to stay on a well supported release line. I would be happy to
help with this effort as well. It would be great if we could leverage that
discussion and have EOL information for the 2.6 line when we release 2.6.5.

As always, please let me know if I have missed something.

Thanks!
Chris Trezzo

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Karthik Kambatla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>