Hi,

+1 for Karthik's idea(non-binding).

IMO, we should keep the compatibility between JDK 6 and JDK 7 on both branch-1
and branch-2, because users can be using them. For future releases that we can
declare breaking compatibility(e.g. 3.0.0 release), we can use JDK 7
features if we
can get benefits. However, it can increase maintenance costs and distributes the
efforts of contributions to maintain branches. Then, I think it is
reasonable approach
that we use limited and minimum JDK-7 APIs when we have reasons we need to use
the features.
By the way, if we start to use JDK 7 APIs, we should declare the basis
when to use
JDK 7 APIs on Wiki not to confuse contributors.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi