If Apache Hadoop -- as an umbrella or sum of its parts -- isn't practical
to develop end applications or downstream projects on, the community will
disappear. I don't follow your logic. I deal with the technical realities
of actually trying to use an Apache Hadoop distribution, the pieces
released as source from the ASF, directly in production, and your position
is dismissive if not hostile to my concerns as an end user. What
"community" do you mean then? Vendors? Academics? People who like to tinker
with things they can't actually use?

And you can't just hand waive that this will all work out if done RIGHT
NOW, especially with something as inelegant as a SVN copy.