Hive >> mail # user >> Error in semantic analysis: Unable to fetch table

Error in semantic analysis: Unable to fetch table
If I run a select command on the command line with -e it works.  If I run the same command inside hive (without -e) it still works...but if I exec it with a -e from php (so obviously the apache user), I get "Error in semantic analysis: Unable to fetch table [tablename]".  Bear in mind that this overall system worked perfectly for weeks.  I haven't modified the code or anything.  What did change was I had to reinstall hadoop and hive and I'm sure some configuration parameter is not correct now.  I found some Google references to this error but no clear-but solutions.

What does this error mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

"The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches
me to suspect that my own is also."
                                           --  Mark Twain