Hive, mail # user - ORC vs TEXT file

Re: ORC vs TEXT file
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-12, 13:30
Colmnar formats do not always beat row wise storage. Many times gzip plus
block storage will compress something better then columnar storage
especially when you have repeated data in different columns.

Based on what you are saying it could be possible that you missed a setting
and the ocr are not compressed.